What is WBL?
The network’s understanding of work based learning is broader than only apprenticeship: acquisition of knowledge and skills through carrying out and reflecting on tasks in a vocational context, either at the workplace (such as alternance training) or in a VET institution. It includes WBL in Higher Education and also developments to include WBL in school-based training.
NetWBL aims to strengthen work based learning (WBL) elements in existing Vocational Education and Training (VET) systems and Higher Education (HE) and to support apprenticeship in particular.
The network addresses the key actors involved in WBL in each European country taking into account the different VET and Higher Education systems and legisatlive regulations. Furthermore, the network supports the European Alliance for Apprenticeships (EAfA).
NetWBL will make visible the results of Lifelong Learning Programme (LLP) projects on work-based learning and will support VET reforms by providing an on-line toolbox for use by policy makers, social partners and VET providers. At the same time, it will identify gaps which could usefully be filled by new products developed by Erasmus+, the new EU programme in the fields of education, training, youth and sport.
The Network will support the implementation in practices of WBL by:
- offering tools and good practices developed in LLP and in future Erasmus+
- identifying the “transferable core” of project outcomes focusing on WBL
- identifying gaps and needs for future projects
- supporting the development of the communities of practices
- facilitating the transfer of good practice
- improving the quality of project implementation through monitoring and peer learning.